Do I need airline approval to transport any items?
Tips for preparing your baggage
- Choose fabric baggage to carry in the hold, it is more resistant, flexible and durable compared to rigid baggage.
- Pack your own baggage personally and check the dimensions and weight allowed.
- Easily identify your baggage at the airport – you can tie a bright-colored ribbon on the handle or attach an ID card with your full name, address and phone number.
- If your baggage is not in optimal conditions, is plastic-wrapped or overloaded (too full, does not close, or has defects) it may not withstand the baggage handling systems, causing additional damage for which we will not be held responsible.
- If you are carrying internal combustion engines or fuel cell engines (those used in cars, motorcycles, and machinery), they must have been emptied, purged, and filled with a non-flammable gas or liquid to eliminate hazards. You must have physical or electronic documentation stating that the washing and purging procedure has been completed.
- Be sure to remove all tags from previous flights, as well as straps, hooks or other protruding or attached objects, as they can become entangled during handling.
All baggage is subject to review by authorities when so authorized by applicable law. avianca is not responsible for damage, destruction, loss, delay, denial of transportation, confiscation of property or other damages resulting from inspections carried out by the authorities. Remember that plastic-wrapped baggage can be inspected by the authorities; we have no part in this process.