Documents and requirements

What documentation do I need to travel with my pet?

The required documentation will vary depending on the origin and destination of your flight. On the day of travel, please note what you must present at the airport counter: 

  • Copy of your pet's vaccination card.
  • Certificate of health inspection issued by a veterinarian, indicating the professional registration number. The time of validity of this document depends on the country.
  • Transport of pets in the hold and cabin form completed and printed 

If your dog is an emotional support or service dog, you must also submit:

Emotional support dog Service dog

You must have a document that is no older than one year from the date of the flight certifying the breed of the dog and that you require the dog for emotional support (except for flights to and from the United States). This documentation must be on letterhead and signed by a mental health professional or your treating physician and certify that:

  • You have a recognized emotional, psychiatric or mental disability and need the dog to accompany you during the flight.
  • The company of your dog is necessary during your flight or for the activities you are going to develop at your destination.
  • The treating physician or mental health professional must have a valid license, specifying the date, type, and place where it was issued.

Remember to show up at the airport counter 3 hours before for international flights and 2 hours for domestic flights.

Additional documentation is required depending on your origin or destination. 

Flights to Colombia
  • You must have an original health certificate showing that your pet is fit to be transported. It must be valid for no more than 10 calendar days and must state that your pet is free of infectious, contagious and parasitic diseases. Likewise, it must be mentioned that there are no fresh or healing wounds. Also, you must specify the species, identification, breed, sex, age, and coat of the animal, the vaccination plan and the vaccination certificate issued by a veterinarian indicating his professional registration number.
  • Pets coming from the United States, flying to Colombia, must have a health certificate stamped and signed by Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service USDA - APHIS, the official U.S. Animal Health agency.
  • If your flight is from Spain, you will have to present the Export Certificate from the Kingdom of Spain for any type of pet. This document will be required upon arrival in Colombia.
Flights from/to the United States
  • If you are flying to/from the United States with a service dog, you must bring the current forms, dated after your flight reservation, to the counters or boarding gates, as applicable. The accepted forms include the U.S. Department of Transportation Service Animal Air Transportation Form and the United States Department of Transportation Service Animal Relief Attestation Form as a requirement for acceptance.
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have temporarily suspended the importation of dogs until July 31, 2024. This means that dogs coming from countries with a high risk of canine rabies or those that have been in any of these countries in the last 6 months can only enter the United States through one of the 18 authorized ports of entry equipped with a port health station. Some of the approved ports include:
    • O'Hare International Airport, Chicago (ORD)
    • Miami International Airport (MIA)
    • Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, San Juan (SJU)
    • Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, Dallas (DFW)
    • George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston (IAH)
    • Logan International Airport, Boston (BOS)
    • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
    • John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)
    • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
    • Dulles International Airport, Washington (IAD)
  • In addition, to be able to enter the United States with your dog, you must meet a list of requirements, including obtaining an advance import permit from the CDC. For more information, consult the official website.
Flights to and from Europe
  • For flights to Spain, the pet must have a passport (vaccination card or animal health certificate) and be identified with a microchip or tattoo. It is important to treat the pet with praziquantel at least 48 hours before the flight.
Was this article helpful?