The first thing to keep in mind is that children under 2 years of age are considered infants or babies. If the baby turns 2 years of age before or during the return date of the trip, he/she will be considered a child and must have a ticket with a seat assigned.
Here are some additional key points to consider before flying:
- If the baby is less than 10 days old, you must present a medical certificate authorizing the mother and baby to fly.
- Bring a certificate from your pediatrician stating the baby's weight and height in inches or centimeters.
- Check the documentation required for traveling with infants.
- An adult may fly with a maximum of 2 infants, whose tickets must be on the same reservation.
- The baggage allowance for children (between the ages of 2 and 11) will depend on the fare.
- Baby tickets (under 2 years of age) do not include carry-on or checked baggage.
- The diaper bag will count as the personal item of the adult accompanying the infant.
You can bring a small baby stroller with a weight of less than 9kg/20lb to the boarding gate free of charge. Our staff will receive it and help you check it in as baggage.
You should avoid transporting strollers that weigh more than 9 kg/20 lb and whose dimensions exceed 158 cm/62 as the size of the baggage compartments are not designed to carry them. If your stroller exceeds the specified weight and dimensions, you will be required to register it at the airport counter, where you will have to pay an additional charge based on its specific characteristics.
- If your baby needs a seat, you must buy a child (not infant) ticket, and he/she must fly in an approved infant seat with seat belt included. To make sure this is the case, check that the following message is printed on it: "certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft".
- For safety reasons and depending on the aircraft configuration, babies will not be able to fly in the seats located at:
- Rows 1,2,3,4, and 7 of A319 and A320 aircraft
- Rows 1 to 7 of 787 aircraft
- Emergency exits of all our aircraft
- If you are flying with 2 infants, one of them will fly sitting on your lap and the second infant must fly with an assigned seat in a special infant seat.
Baby cradle or bassinet
- Depending on the type of aircraft, we may install a cradle when the aircraft takes off, and we will uninstall it before landing.
- This service is available for infants 12 months old or younger, measuring 74 cm and weighing up to 11 kg.
- You can purchase the service when booking your flight at our Contact Center, at the Counter at the airport or through our WhatsApp.
- There is a limited quota of 3 cribs per type of aircraft and seats selected to provide this service.
- Due to operational issues, the aircraft assigned for the trip may change. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the service.
- Flights operated by Avianca Ecuador S.A. do not have this service.
- There's a special menu with baby food, in flights from and to Europe.